Sunday 2 September 2012


Project Report

I created a slide show projection of my work in PD. I gathered images and created four movies presenting my work from different artistic fields. In the slide show we can see a digitised version of my drawing, painting, graphic, sculpture and photography, graphic design and animation. The idea is to use it for an exhibition. This solution might be very useful because the exhibition space is usually limited (unless it's a solo exhibition) and the projection of such a slide show would allows me to present a wider range of my artistic creativity.

My patch has four rendering chains with one movie uploaded to each chain. The whole projection is controlled from the keyboard. Each key on the keyboard has a specific number value. In my patch I placed the 'select' objects with numbers (97, 98, 99, 100) which are designated to the specific keys on the keyboard (in this case it is 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd') The patch is made this way that when I press one key only one movie plays and three other stop. By pressing different keys I'm able to change the slide show I want PD to play. 

I had some problems with my project for example I wanted my movies to play the same way like images or to stop them looping or I was struggling with connecting my '0' messages to 'toggles' but I solved them by watching online tutorials on the course website, using help option in PD, reading and joining PD forum and visiting Floss Manual. 
 
I would say that my project has more practical than creative purpose. The reason is, that I don't know Pure Data program well enough to use it in more efficient way. That's a pity because while I was doing my extended research I found many extraordinary examples for using Pure Data in a very creative, experimental and developmental way. The artists who made the biggest impression on me are Golan Levin and his cooperator Zachary Lieberman, Ryoji Ikeda,  Baran Gulesen, Daniel Rozin with his incredible Rust Mirror and Rachel Wingfield & Mathias Gmachl with very beautiful project Sonumbra. I realize that not all of them use PD software in their work but I think that while doing research it's good to open your mind as much as possible for the artistic experience. All New Media field is new and fresh for me so I really feel that maybe I didn't explore it on my own enough. If I would do this project again I would like to introduce an audio aspect to my project. I think it would support the whole thing. The slide show could change each time the new song is played. 
I would definitely try some visualisation in Gem as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment